5 Mayıs 2020 Salı

Being An Exchange Student in TUAS

TURKU UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES

I want to talk about TUAS in this blog post. I made some observations based on the courses I attended. I think the biggest difference between TUAS, my school in Finland, and Gazi University, my school in my country, is the way the lessons are taught. 


In other words, lessons in TUAS are mostly based on activities and group work. In many lessons there is an exchange of ideas between teachers and students. Each group member plays an active role in the group assignments given. And homework is based on steps such as researching articles, learning new information, analyzing this information, and sharing it with people. 


The evaluation of the course depends on our active role in the group. I think this is a beautiful thing. The number of students in classes at my university is very crowded. In theoretical courses for nursing, we have about 250 people in class. And teachers usually lead the lesson. The student is in a listening position. The crowded classes are really a big disadvantage.


In practice lessons, I really liked the system of TUAS. Approximately 10 or 15 students can practice on models. Application hours in our own university are quite limited.
Practice classes are also in large groups. Approximately 30 people become 1 group.


At TUAS, students prepare slides and students make presentations. As a result, they receive evaluation. And most courses are 5 ECTS.
At Gazi University, teachers prepare slides and teachers who give presentations. Basic courses are at least 10 ECTS.


My exchange program was for Theoretical lessons only. Therefore, I do not know how to organize Internship programs in Nursing education in Finland.
After theoretical courses are taught in about 1 month in my country, internship education begins. In groups, we get the chance to practice in different clinics of the hospital. We ask for help from professional nurses when we practice. With the permission of our patients, we can apply some applications (blood collection, IV catheterization, following vital signs, IM injection procedures etc.) on our patients.

  
Gazi University is a university with high quality education. It ranks first among the universities in my country in terms of success. One-year nursing student gets education for 4 years. 4 years is equal to approximately 8 education periods. It is necessary to complete at least 30 ECTS each semester.  Students who pass the courses at the end of the year attend the KPSS Exam. According to the score obtained from this exam, students of the Nursing Department are appointed. After the appointment of students with disabilities, he or she starts his/her career in different hospitals and different clinics.
I want to share a photo from both schools.

This is from a group work in TUAS :)


This is Gazi University Nursing Department. Me and my classmates:)


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder